Contact: Dan Carter at email@example.com
I am a SE Wisconsin-based ecologist, field botanist, and owner of Dropseed Ecological and Botanical Services, LLC. I offer:
- Floristic quality assessments
- Vascular plant inventories
- Rare species surveys
- Invasive species surveys
- Site assessments (quality and restoration potential)
- Restoration / reconstruction plans
- Design and installation of small-scale, ecologically sustainable native gardens for home landscapes (see examples )
- Speaking (native landscaping)
- Plant / wildflower walks for small groups
- PhD in Biology from Kansas State University (5/2013)
- Education Concentration (2004),Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
- Bachelor’s in Biology with honors (2004), Grinnell College, Grinnell Iowa
Carter, D.L. and M. Pace (2015 though dated 2013) Noteworthy collection: Spiranthes ovalis Lindley var. erostellata Catling. The Michigan Botanist.
Carter, D.L. and B.L. VanderWeide. 2014. Belowground bud production is linked to population establishment in Sorghastrum nutans (Poaceae). Plant Ecology 215:977-986.
VanderWeide, B.L., Hartnett D.C., and D.L. Carter. 2014. Belowground bud banks of tallgrass prairie are insensitive to multi-year, growing-season drought. Ecosphere 5:art103.
Carter, D.L., and J.M. Blair. 2013. Seed Source has variable effects on species, communities, and ecosystem properties in grassland restorations. Ecosphere 4: art93.
Madsen, M.D., K.W. Davies, C.S. Boyd, J.D. Kerby, D.L. Carter and T.J. Svejcar. Restoring North America’s sagebrush steppe ecosystem using seed enhancement technologies. Proceedings of the 22nd International Grassland Congress 393-401.
Carter, D.L., and J.M. Blair. 2012. Seed source affects establishment and survival for three grassland species sown into reciprocal common gardens. Ecosphere 3:art102.
Carter, D.L., B.L. VanderWeide, and J.M. Blair. 2012. Drought-mediated stem dynamics in restored grasslands: The role of bud banks in recovery. Applied Vegetation Science 15:470-478.
Carter, D.L. and J.M. Blair. 2012. High richness and dense seeding enhance grassland restoration establishment, but have little effect on drought response. Ecological Applications 22: 1308-1319.
Carter, D.L. and J.M. Blair. 2012. Recovery of native plant community characteristics on a chronosequence of restored prairies seeded into pastures in West-Central Iowa. Restoration Ecology 20:170-179.